Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Of This and Of That

I think my first post touched on the fact that my grandfather was a newspaper man and that he wrote a column for the Decatur (IL) Herald, entitled Of This and Of That.  He was an editor and columnist and when I was the editor of my college newspaper he would send issues back to me marked-up in red pencil. 

I am horrified to find type-o's in my Twitter feeds and I haven't figured out how to delete my tweets (yes, I just typed that god-awful word) when I send them from TweetDeck.  (I can delete the offending tweet and resend a corrected one when I am signed into Twitter, but I'll be covering the topic of signing in shortly.)  And, not only was my grandfather an English major and newspaper editor, my mom is an English major and grammarian on steroids.

I am the weakest link in that chain...


I have ideas for blog posts that roll around in my head and some may not be interesting as an individual post...so I think I'll throw them in an occasional "Of This and Of That" post to get them out of my head.

Topic #1.  Password Rage.

I have it.

It's the anger that I feel when my browser or an application (like Blogger) has saved my login ID and password for me so I never have to type them in.  That's lovely.....most of the time.  It's not so lovely when I'm at another computer and I want to log in.  It's not so great when the application (like Blogger) stops saving it and makes my type it in.

I spent 20+ years working in bank technology.

My password is not my kids' names, my maiden name, my phone number, my house number, His birthday etc.

My passwords kick ass.  They are combinations that Stephen Hawking wouldn't have dreamed up.

BUT I CAN'T REMEMBER THEM WHEN THE 'SAVIORS' FORGET THEM!!!!!!

yeah, yeah, yeah....they are written down.

They are in written form, in a place so secret that I CAN'T REMEMBER WHERE THE HELL IT IS!
And, no, I don't want you to reset my password so I can, yet again, come up with another kick-ass password.

I have Password Rage.

Topic #2  I am a City Girl at heart.

I get giddy when I'm in the city.  I swear that little ditty just flowed out-ta me!!!

I was staying overnight (yippee, overnight in the city!) in the city a few weeks ago and I love staring out of my hotel window and surveying who's doing what or what's what in the buildings across from me.  During this stay I could see lots and lots of sewing rooms, a la Project Runway, with no students but lots of lights on (all night) and machines and dress forms.

I even scoped out where He and I can move or stay when we move away (no retire...) to FL after the kids are gone.  It's going to be the south side of the city.  The new, gentrified south side.  That's the City Girl in me. 

I'm a south side girl at heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment