Tuesday, January 27, 2009

What We're Leaving For Them

I come from a family of letter writers - mainly on my mom's side.

Even though my mom's first reaction to bloggers (based on the snippets I emailed her - she has limited web access) was that they were being self-absorbed, it occurred to me that blogs may, if they are archived/preserved through the future iterations of technology, be the primary documents that historians will examine to learn about these generations.

I went to college (1980) an hour away from my parents and we wrote letters to each other - phoning was used only in an emergency. My mom saved the letters and postcards that I wrote to them in college, and the letters and postcards from high school and college trips to Europe. She has given them back to me and I'm saving them for my kids and their kids.

I have the letters from my first serious boyfriend and from my second serious boyfriend (that would be "Mr. Savage"). They will be shared with The Boy and The Grrl when they start asking more questions about "the olden days" as they call them.

Eventually the archive will be implanted in the body - some sort of microchip with everything you need to know.

It's the iMe.

No comments:

Post a Comment